4th Edition of the International Conference “Medieval Europe in Motion”
Lisbon, December 13-15, 2017
This conference aims at bringing together scholars from around the world in order to discuss and reassess the question whether or not it is possible to speak of a Global Middle Ages.
The Conference will seek to provide a forum for scholars from all disciplines who are willing to examine this topic. We invite participation from graduate students, early-career researchers and senior scholars.
Papers are warmly welcome whether in English, Portuguese, Spanish, French or Italian.
The three sections of the Conference will be:
1. Debating the Global Middle Ages: Theoretical and Historiographical Approaches;
2. Texts, Images and Representations;
3. Territories and Powers: a “Glocal” Perspective.
Possible topics may include, but are by no means restricted to, the following:
• approaches to sub-global, semi-global and pan-global concepts and the discussion of contact,
exchange, interaction, circulation, integration and exclusion;
• analysis of concepts and case studies concerning diffusion, outreach, dispersal and expansion;
• approaches to concepts of impact, reception, acceptance, transformation and reform.
Proposals for either 3-paper sessions or individual papers will be equally welcome.
Individual papers should be 20 minutes in length.
Please submit an abstract of no more that 250 words and a brief CV to email@example.com by 15 June 2017.